I love walking around picking up veggies and fruits to test for firmness + just smell them (I am that weird girl), doing a nice slow “sunday drive” by the meat section, walking through the packaged food isles to turn over products so I can read ingredients, and I have also been known to lose nearly an hour in the frozen foods area alone.
This week in the meat section I saw a new item in stock that I couldn’t help but laugh at. The first thing I noticed was the packaging which said ‘Superb & Simple Chicken’. I was excited. The product was a single chicken breast, already marinated for you. I was thinking to myself how this could potentially bring new meaning to picking up a quick bite at the grocery store. I could grab one of these and a bag of green beans to steam and I’d have a healthy meal on my hands in very little time.
However, once I picked up the package and turned it over I actually did laugh and said OUT LOUD… “No way, you have got to be kidding me”.
I immediately wished for someone to be shopping with me so I could discuss the absolute ridiculousness of a product marketed as ‘Simple’ when it has over 50 ingredients in it including many which I don’t even consider to be ingredients like Modified cornstarch, Malodextrin, Dextrose, Corn Syrup Solids, Dehydrated butter, Blah, and Blah.
In the interest of being proactive and saving you, before you see this item and think it is a good idea to buy it, I created an honestly Superb & Simple chicken marinade for you to use. Just follow the recipe below and you will have Superb & Simple chicken to eat all week….the best part is you can use fish, or pork if you choose instead of chicken.
- Buy one package each of organic, free range, hormone/antibiotic-free chicken thighs and chicken breasts.
- Whip up the marinade below.
- Add the thighs and breasts to the marinade and place in a dish with a sealed top.
- Leave the chicken in the fridge and let it marinate until you are ready to throw it on the grill and cook up for dinner.
- It can be left in a tightly sealed container for up to one week.
Whah-La! This is a true definition of superb and simple. Lisa-
Did you like this post, and what do you think? ….when you shop your grocery are there any things you won’t buy because the ingredient list is too long and has fake ingredients in it? Leave a comment below!
- 1/2 cup of grape seed oil
- 1/8 cup of soy sauce
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbs of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of ground chili paste
- 1 tsp of honey
- Whisk ingredients together and place in a baking dish that has a sealed top
- Add 3/4 lb of chicken thighs and 3/4 lb of chicken breast to the dish
- Seal and shake.
- Put in the fridge for up to one week and pull out to cook up the chicken whenever you want to use it for dinner.