Homecomings are always worthy of a PYL (promote your love) post. Especially when it is your lil’ sis who’s been overseas for nearly a year in Afghanistan (I think I spelled it correctly this time mom).
Ashley is my dearly loved-so much like me it often irks me-seriously talented-beautiful-generously giving of her life for this country-little sister. Yesterday was her big homecoming. The 257th arrived in Monticello to much fanfare, happy tears, and shouts of respect and love.
Seriously, not many of us would venture to do something like this: Join the national guard, give up our personal lives and family to go overseas into danger and the unknown.
Let me just say resoundingly…WE ARE SO HAPPY SHE IS HOME!
And sometimes pics speak better than words, even if I may not have quite the eye for taking them that my sis Kelley does (you should check out her awesome blog) so enjoy the following PYL updates below.
1. We had dinner at Benihana at Ashley’s request…SO FUN! The night was entertaining, the chefs made a show of it, the food was great, I could still eat on the BRD program, and my nephew and nieces were a blast to watch with their wide eyes and drooping mouths. As they watched the food cooked in front of us they were transfixed. Their mother…my sis kelley, was just happy nobody got burnt.
2. The patriot riders were all waiting outside with flags and grand fanfare for the 257th’s arrival.
3. My hubby (so glad he could be there for this) and my dad anxiously trying to catch a glimpse of Ashley as she stepped off the bus.
4. The troops arrive.
5. My bro Adam lugging Ashley’s gear and his awesome nephew, the famous Sid-vicious.
6. A glimpse of green grass at this church outside of the community center…oh wait, that is AstroTurf. No worries, we will soon be seeing more of the real green stuff in our state.
7. No pic of this one but a moving video from the Strib…and go figure I found my way into it. (really are you surprised?)
Happy Friday, and many happy homecoming wishes to you! xoxo, LVA-