I can speak to fear. I have experienced quite a bit of it in my life, and I know one thing that is true about it. Fear is only as powerful as you allow it to be. What I mean by this is the bigger you make the fear, the stronger it is. As an example, perhaps you want to start a conversation with someone at a party, ask for a raise from your boss, compete in a 5k or a triathlon, OR put your dukes up and get in the ring, well the more you ruminate on the thing that you want to do, strategize, play out all the (awful) things that could go wrong, set a date for when you may start somewhere out in the near future, consider how inadequately you are equipped for it…are you getting it? Even now can you feel the fear building inside of you?
Whew. Take a deep breath. We are going to tackle this together. Plus I have some really great news for you. YOU CONTROL THE FEAR. And yes, this is good news. It means it is up to you if go up against a goliath or take on a toddler. Your thoughts are powerful and they are what has created your enormous opponent. So lets get to some fight tactics that will allow you to KO fear in the first round. (Get used to the cheesy metaphors, it is sorta my thing).
1. Tell the truth. If you are scared or nervous then first and foremost speak to it. Say out loud, ” I am feeling the fear here. I am doing something bold and it scares me”.
2. Understand that your fear is really not about experiencing a negative outcome, but about NOT KNOWING the outcome. We all handle negative circumstances in our life when they come. When I lose a fight I don’t experience fear after I have lost. The fear I feel is before the fight, when I do not know the outcome. After it is over, the fear is over.
3. Perceive your fear for what it truly is “anticipation”, and anticipate the best. See, the feeling you have in the pit of your stomach when you think about doing something courageous, that is the not- knowing, and it is really anticipation of the outcome. Once you see it as anticipation you can get excited, visualize the best outcome possible, and use it as fuel to go out and do it!
4. Don’t think about it for too long. Take your fear to the mat and act RIGHT NOW! Okay so you are anticipating your future, you feel that uneasy belly turning, there is something you want and you don’t have it. It doesn’t even have a chance of happening if you don’t step forward and go for it. Put yourself to action and you will be in control. If you want to meet someone, talk to them. Do you know you deserve more money? Ask for it. Wanna be an athlete? Find an event and sign up, today. Worry about the ins and outs later and in the moment of anticipation step to it and act.
5. Whatever the outcome of your action, success (YAH!), or defeat (don’t give up) make sure you celebrate your action. So many people talk about what they want, but don’t move forward out of fear. You are successful every time you push back in the face of fear and act. Yes you are a success!
I would love to hear your thoughts and how you are going to act in face of your fears today. Hold yourself accountable and leave one action step you will take in the box below.
Also, if you found this post helpful please share it with the people you know.
Have a great day kicking fear’s butt!
Leave a Reply