The law of impermanence states that all physical and mental realities come into being and dissolve. This flux is a cycle that continues as long as we are alive.
Everything changes, constantly.
We look to many things hoping for permanance.
- Our careers. (this job is it. I’ll be here and secure forever)
- Our relationships. (this person is it. I’ll be with them forever)
- Our bodies. (this is my body. I’m gonna look like this forever)
Yet, none of these things are permanent and everything changes.
We crave security and knowing. Much of our being desires this and still we do want change.
Sometimes we hope for it more than anything.
- Our careers. (this job sucks, I want something different)
- Our relationships. (I’m unhappy but afraid to be alone)
- Our bodies. (I hate this extra weight, I want to lose it)
Sometimes we’re in flow and want to hold onto that. Other times we want change desperately. Whatever place we are in, it’s important to know that the law of impermanence is in place.
Understanding this, the best thing to do is to not attach to any expectations.
If an area of your life feels comfortable and exactly where you want to be….instead be courageous and grow into more. Take some risks.
If an area of your life feels hard and you’re struggling…be courageous and find a way through the obstacle. Take some risks.
Courage counts. Nothing else lasts. Every day that you take courageous action you’re taking meaningful action.
Where you are now…you won’t be tomorrow. You can hold onto comfort or you can hold onto misery. Neither will offer you the satisfaction that courage does. Courageous action taken daily is what counts.
Leave a Reply